Ways to deal with holiday stress and strategies to eat healthy
1. Reframe the situation- it’s one or two meals a year. There is delicious food, perfection isn’t what it’s about, it’s about joy, gratitude, community, family, celebration.
2. Focus on self growth- look back on the ways you’ve grown
3. Self acceptance- shut down judges comments by shrugging it off because you accept it. Even try the phrase “I like that Who I am, but thanks for your concern”
4. Visualize yourself enjoying it.
5. Continue taking your probiotics
6. Continue taking time to take care of yourself.
7. Go for a walk
8. Keep a positive self talk mantra ready for whenever you need a pick me up
9. Take a breathing break. Excuse yourself, and do 10-20 deep diaphragmatic breathes. Good time to also focus on your mantra and let go of outside thoughts
10. Avoid self destructive behaviors/extremes
Ways to eat healthy:
Eat before you drink alcohol.
Use portion sizes
Eat only until you’re full. Not overfilled
Avoid making it an all or none situation- have one desert, one serving of gravy, etc not a piece of each pie and gravy on everything
Be mindful of what you are eating, chew and enjoy your food slowly
Eat small balanced meals earlier in the day
Eat your veggies!
And if you don’t feel like you ate healthy, accept it, own it, and move past it. In reality enjoying one meal shouldn’t be able to make or break your training and diet unless there are other issues like food allergies or disordered eating. Make memories!